Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Infernet

I gotta say, I did sing that night with Johnny, Peter and Chris. Up on the balcony of the hostal, we sang songs that meant something to each of us. Johnny sang Irish folk songs. And Peter sang in Dutch and explained the point after each song. Chris can't sing, so he just provided comic relief. Me, I sang a variety. Pink Floyd, stuff from when I was a kid, some Elton John. Point being, fine, politics exist. Governments do stupid things and sometimes brilliant things, but we're all just people. And we can sit on a balcony somewhere and share something real that's far more indicative of our cultures than any 30-second soundbyte about any of our governments.

The afternoon was a little chilly today so I forewent the beach. I didn't even know how to get to it, but then saw Tsunami Evacuation signs, and figured if I headed in the opposite direction I'd eventually hit the beach. Just got familiarized with the city center more or less. And went to Infernet. It's the internet meets hell. You walk in and the first things posted are signs reminding you that pedofilia is illegal and punishable by law. Guess Infernet caters to a certain population. Then you see why. The rooms are labeled, Armageddon, Hell, Purgatory, among others. And I guess which room you get depends on how the person behind the counter views you. Me, I was in Purgatory. Nice. Middle of the road, capable of going either way. Seems about right.

No comments: