Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Bites

To the islands around Nha Trang today, I hopped on a boat with 30 or so others. A short bus ride from town out to the marina, a cable car hangs above the water, spotted itself with a bit of garbage.

We snorkeled and swam for the first hour. Well, the locals drank beer, the tourists swam. In the water, I kept feeling small things biting me. Turned out to be mini jellies. Yikes! I'm not too big on lurking sea creatures. We lunched on the roof of the boat, squid, shrimp, spring rolls, spicy tofu. And after lunch came the entertainment. Our crew Viet Nam's number one boy band, our cruise director did a little karaoke in a coconuts bra. Hmm...

After the show came the floating bar and happy hour. Side note: it's always happy hour in Viet Nam. A life buoy chucked into the water, our bartender balanced himself and bunches of bottles of mulberry wine, served with a touch of pineapple. Too sweet for me. I met a couple from Sydney and a German, good people. The rule for the floating bar is that everyone drinking has to keep a foot attached to the life buoy, as much for silliness and to secure that none float off or drown. Our group turned into a chain of bobbers, all linked one to one. And I at the helm am amazed how much drag a baker's dozen of people can cause.

The clouds rolled in at our last island and we sat on the top of the boat in the rain.
Back in town the Aussies and I went to dinner at Mecca Restaurant. In usual form, I asked our host and server what I should eat. Canh Chua Ca is what showed up, delicious sour fish soup. When in Nha Trang, ORDER THIS! Carla and Chops helped me polish off the soup, there was so much of it.

No comments: