Saturday, May 23, 2009

See, taste, sell

First impressions of Viet Nam, the people seem to have a better lot than those in Cambodia. Fisherman sleeping on their boats just the same, only the boats just over the border seem to be three times the size. And houses are made of cement or stucco. Not bamboo, wood and tin. We just passed a church, too. Bright pink stucco, I'm a bit surprised to see a cross on its steeple.

Along a small river, everyone is relaxing in beach chairs. And every house has an antenna on the roof. It reminds me of passing from Ecuador into Colombia, Cambodia to Viet Nam. And again I feel free. A new country, a new adventure.

In Saigon, I've met an Aussie couple at Go2 bar just up from my hotel. As luck would have it, it's happy hour. The first taste of beer in a new country, somehow there's nothing sweeter. I am sitting outside and in the past few minutes, ten people have cruised by offering everything under the sun. Wallets, books, cigarettes, even marijuana. Interesting.

Back at the hotel (Yellow House Hotel--P.S. don't stay there! Unless you like rats the size of cats...), I met two New Yorkers. Funny how you have to travel half way around the world to meet people from the city! Manhattan, Queens and the Bronx, we're having a tri-borough ball, cursing NYC style.

No comments: