Friday, May 8, 2009

Touring

To the Argyle on Sydney Harbour last night for drinks, I met up with Ellen and Mark, two fellow travelers with whom I'd spent time touring South America. Both are headed out again themselves, Mark to France, Ellen back to South America. And Mark offered to let me crash at his place in Manly.

I walked into the bar with my pack and flip-flops. Not cool. The doorman, however, let me into a side room for a bag drop-off and quick change. Excellent. Fashion and presentation are important here. Thankfully, I did bring one dress. Oh, and a pair of heels.

After a few rounds, we headed to Manly. There we went for drinks, and more drinks. And this morning, rather afternoon, I woke up curled up on the floor with a cat. At the house of one of Mark's friends. It's not as bad as it sounds. Really.

Enter Alex. He slept on the sofa a couple of feet away from me and offered me a ride back into town. Score. That ride turned into brunch and beers. And then a tour. We explored the northern beaches, up into the cliffs looking out onto the water. I didn't take any pictures. Sometimes, although rarely, I prefer the moment to live only in my mind. Some memories, experiences I think you just prefer to keep to yourself.

My whole first day spent seeing the beaches of Sydney, Alex shared his country with me. He even let me drive! Now, I have wrecked my share of cars, driving like a loon. But when the gear shift and steering column are on the wrong side of the car? I turned into a grandma. And he, a tough guy, let me know.

We spent the evening at a bar on the main strip overlooking the ocean. One of Alex's buddies lives upstairs, so several people relaxed and enjoyed up there. Mesmerized. I watched the water and the night. I am thankful. A chance meeting with a kind stranger and I've seen a lot.

No comments: