Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sydney Harbour and Harbour Bridge

It's like a dream. I can't believe I'm here. Sydney Harbour. The Opera House. Who would have ever thought I'd be staring at it? Breathtaking. Absolutely breathtaking. And the weather, gorgeous, pales in comparison. I booked a 4:15 Harbour Bridge Climb today. The sun sets about 5 pm, so I'm excited to see the cityscape at dusk and into the night. Cat, my customs official, recommended I hike the bridge. She did let me in the country, so here I am.

Quick word to the wise: if you're going to climb the bridge, and are on vacation like me, don't have more than one beer at lunch before doing so. I just joined my group and there's apparently a breathalyzer test. Right. If you blow more the 0.05%, no climbing for you.

The bridge climb preparation is quite an affair. Having signed a health and insurance wavier and passed the breath test (phew!), you are zipped up into a gray jumpsuit, your belongings left in a locker. No cameras, no spare change, no wallet, the climb has strict regulations, and understandably so. From the highest point, anything dropped onto traffic passing below could cause serious damage.

In the next section, you are equipped with a belt and rolling ball belay, a headlamp, fleece, radio and headset. With a trial run climbing metal ladders, familiarizing everyone with the belay, and a bit of instruction from our guide Chris, off we went.

A group of seven, we were two Aussies, six English and one American. Scratch that. Two Americans, including our guide. I have to admit, I was excited at the prospect of listening to the Aussie accent during our three+ hour climb. But, as it turned out, Chris was from the States. "Which state?" you ask? Georgia. Macon, GA. Small. World.

Somehow in life, I have no fear of heights. I enjoy climbing, love being up in the air. But of the women, I was in the minority. Lucy, the girl behind me, had asthma and a serious fear of heights. The climb begins just underneath the bridge and roadway along a metal grid see-through catwalk. Then you ascend maybe ten vertical ladders, cars whizzing by you on the roadway. Pretty cool.

Up at the top, to the Aussie flags blowing in the breeze, we watched the sun say goodbye and listened to Chris' stories about the city. Given that you cannot take a camera up, your guide takes all photos of you on top of the bridge. Then you have to buy them at the store once back at the bottom, my photos pending. The view is amazing. And the climb fun, though nothing strenuous. But to see the city behind you, the harbour under your feet, it's worth it.

No comments: