Sunday, May 10, 2009

Thanks

It's a rainy Sunday. And Mother's Day. It's strange and admittedly a bit heart-wrenching to be walking around Manly alone watching families gather. Everyone is all dressed up, drinking and laughing. It makes me miss my own clan.

For dinner on Sundays, Alex and his cousin have a ritual of Mexican. Worlds away, why not? Let's see how the Aussies do Mexican. And in the joint, turns out there isn't a single Australian working. Even funnier, relays the Italian at the register, this is the only day that no one of Spanish origin is working either. Tacos at the hands of a Romanian turned out just fine. In the spirit of my girl Keri, throw anything in a corn tortilla, and I'll love it!

My last night in Manly, Alex and I cruised to the Shore Bar again. This time the fellas were from Calgary and loved my hair. One had on a Guns 'n Roses tee shirt. First a skeeze-ball, now a Canadian? Knock 'em dead, Anne. We left and wound down the night with a few more beers. Nothing major, a chill goodbye to the beach.

I have to say a quick thanks to Alex. He made my trip to Manly educational, varied and exciting. I saw a side of Manly I never would have without his openness to show the random American girl around. Traveling normally spurs a desire to share, but I was surprised to meet someone in his every day life with that same capacity. The first day of the tour, the only word I said to him was thanks. And I said it a bunch. And rightfully so, it should live on as the last to him to. "Thanks!"

And happy mom's day, Mom! Love you.

No comments: