Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Out and back

Cruising high above the outback, it's fitting that roads writhe and wriggle through the red dirt like snakes. Clouds are the only shade offered in puffs and spots. Sometimes the roads or perhaps dried riverbeds crisscross one another. It looks like a plate of spaghetti, sauceless.

I made it out of Sydney. The customs official could tell my anticipation and played with me more than I'd wished. He prattled on about places I should have visited, and more places, and more places. "God's own country and you only spent a week?" he asked. "I'm no God," I replied and smiled. "But more saint than sinner." Phew. He believed me. Stamp's on! I do look forward to returning to Australia. There's so much more to see. But for now, that'll have to do.

Back in Singapore, at Changi, you are greeted with thermal monitors, scanning all passengers for heightened body temperature. Epidemics having devastated countries in this part of the world, they take serious security measure to prevent further issues. H1N1 has impacted life here, too, despite no cases having been found here yet.

No comments: