Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Can't take my eyes off of you

There was a woman sitting on a beach chair on the street outside where I had breakfast today. Probably in her 70s, sitting in a chair on the sidewalk, almost in the street, next to a parking meter. Wonder if she put quarters in...and me, I'm listening to "You're just too good to be true...Can't take my eyes off of you...You'd feel like heaven to touch...I wanna hold you so much...At long last love has arrived..." Yeah, you know the rest.

So a funny thing happened to me today. The younger brother of a good friend of mine called me today to ask if he could register his car in New York under my address. Too many parking tickets where he is...makes me laugh. So I gave him the street and all. Should I worry? I think, no. Lots of history. And I know his family...

My own brother gave me some good advice lately. I think it may have been the first time I'd asked. Like I said, sometimes, and hopefully only sometimes, I'm an idiot.

And sometimes I think restaurants are sort of like the movies. That first time, you're going in for a whole new experience. After that, you go back because you like it. But people exhibit some of the rarest forms of behaviors in restaurants. Snapping, vocally, physically, at another human being. Sometimes yelling. Sometimes fights. Arguments. It's an accomplishment in any job to let another person yell at you and to have him, by the end of the conversation, eating out of your hand. It's not so much a control thing or even a competition thing. It's charm. Not win or lose. Not right or wrong. But charisma. Doesn't always work. But most of the time. And then there are cell phones. You just really wish they weren't there. At the movies. In restaurants. But, then again, I'm still in my anti-mobile phase. I did give in to carrying bags rather than the HIP pack (you can just piss off, Rebecca), but my mobile has stayed in silent mode since I got back. And FYI, I have no text message capabilities. I can't be trusted. With my own car. Not even with my own phone anymore! Pathetic.

And, there's something else I have to say. This whole blog thing started out as a way to keep family and friends informed of my whereabouts so they'd know that I was safe while abroad. But now, sometimes I think, "Hmm...isn't this interesting? Everyone gets a bird's eye view into my mind. But what about alla thems?" Couple of exceptions, yes, I read your stuff. But the rest of you, you better start sending me your pages. Nah, I mean NOW!

No comments: