Friday, July 20, 2007

Made in Italy

Found a new bar in my neighborhood last night. Actually, a couple lately. One last night, another one last Sunday, for Jillian's birthday, but we'll get to that later. This one's on C (that's an avenue for non-New Yorkers, aka Alphabet City), which could be problematic, given my friendliness and its proximity to my house. You just never know in this life. And they play salsa music. And Stevie Wonder. Needless to say, I pulled a muscle in my side dancing...I'm getting old. My friend Paul said that it's so weird to see how your body starts to deteriorate. He's only 34, people. But has bad vision and is freaking out about that going...

Tonight I went to Gradisca for dinner with a kid who works with me. He'd gotten hired in the kitchen while I was gone. I think he's nice, but you know me. I'm just not sure yet. My friend Tony lets people into his life, boom, like that. Me, it takes me a while to decide about people. Gradisca is a lovely Italian restaurant on 13th in between 6th and 7th: www.gradiscanyc.com. Go! They have great food, and it's relaxed and welcoming. And tasty! A friend of mine is the sous chef. I had lobster pasta. My friend had ravioli, homemade, on the spot per order. The waiter was really cute, too. Stefano. I figured he was gay. Let's face it. That's the reality with a large percentage of attractive men in the world in any big city. Then my buddy mentioned, "Nah. He's just Italian." Right! I forgot! His comment brought it all back! When in Rome, all the men looked homosexual, at least "metrosexual," so Tony & I had to see who checked him out and who checked me out to know. No such thing as gaydar in Italy. They're almost like peacocks there. The men paint themselves up all lovely, well, not like makeup or anything, but they always present themselves well. They just look nice. Dress nice. Going to the frickin supermarket, they wear a suit coat. They may be badasses, but they still look stylish and classic. Made in Italy. It just sounds so good.

1 comment:

Sockmonkee said...

Note to self: Must go to Italy!