Saturday, July 7, 2007

Just a nerd

So one thing about New York that's so New York, you have to pay to go to the beach. Well, Long Beach anyway. Yep. There's an entrance fee. A cover. Not the case at any I went to in South America. It's a funny notion too. We're going to charge you to sit on land. I guess you have to pay to enter parks and all, but charging $10 to get onto the beach? It's just not right.

Some dude, a Long Islander--wait, I think he's from Brooklyn--is teaching a kid to surf. And trying to pick up chicks in the meantime. He just said, "Positive attitude. That's all it takes. And don't get timid." Not sure if he was talking about the water or the girls. Seems like there's good advice following me around. I just need to keep my ears open to it.

Today I sat on the beach with my friend Lynn and soaked in the rays. A beautiful day, all I could think about was living in the stacks. A stray cloud here and there, blue sky, roaring waves, and all day I thought about research. Having an assignment, a paper due, a project, that requires me to research. In the library, reading books. I may pretend to be cool or hip or something, but really, deep down inside, I'm just a nerd.

Sidenote: I'm not a fan of people with perfect bodies. What some may call flaw, for me, it's charming. It's the unusual, the strange that gets me.

No comments: