Sunday, July 29, 2007

New world

I saw a t-shirt today that read, "I love immigrant New York." Now, I'm not big on t-shirts saying things, but with this one, I agree. And then I thought, isn't that redundant? All the talk about stopping illegal immigration? Aside from those native to this continent, aren't we all immigrants in some way? And a lot of those to avoid persecution, a lot to absolve debt, a lot for the belief in new opportunity? I can't help but wonder, have we lost that pioneering spirit? I know, it's never that simple. But what's the difference between a pioneer and an immigrant? Doesn't it seem like the same kind of person, to leave all you know and make a new life in a whole, new place? I guess it's just seems like we forget sometimes where most of us came from, how we ourselves ended up here.

No comments: