Monday, July 23, 2007

Nor'easter

I just left my house in a short skirt and flip flops and got pretty close to mowed down by the wind and rain. I'm not sure how nor'easter didn't register in my brain. The forecast said it. I heard it. But doesn't seem like it sank in with me until I was in the middle of it. Skirt blown up to my waist. Quick change to jeans rolled up to the knees and I'm back out.

I'm not using a journal anymore, I'm using scraps of paper. Right now, I'm writing on paper sent to me in the mail for free from the Nature Conservancy. The tag line reads, "Saving the last great places on Earth." What a motto, right? Before this paper, I used a notepad from my old job. Broadview Networks, " Making connections that make a difference." Hmm. Maybe we should get them together. "Making connections that save the last great places on Earth." Or "Saving the last great connections that make a difference?" Hmm. First one's better, right? Anyway, the Nature Conservancy paper has my name at the top. Just feels so official. I found it in my apartment somewhere, and before I go buying any new stuff, it feels like I should use up what's already there. But it's also kind of a trip because I have these papers everywhere, some dated, many not, and every couple of days I have to piece them together like a puzzle. What happened when? Where am I? And ironically enough, I then end up stuffing the scraps in a blank journal. How does that make any sense? I guess I write on scraps cuz you just never know where you're going to be when a good idea's going to hit.

The Social Security Administration is empty today. It's 3:17 pm coupled with a nor'ester, good stuff. I took a number, sat down and within 2 minutes, got called to the desk. Yippee frickin skippy. Ok, people. The SSA, then to the USPS to mail a friend a package, and I walked out at 3:43 pm. That means, in total, including walking 2 blocks and an avenue and a half, dealing with the SSA & USPS, all got taken care of in, count em, 26 minutes. Today feels like Supermarket Sweeps or something.

No comments: