Saturday, July 21, 2007

Issues

Feels like I'm working too much. I am writing for days past and it's not ok with me.

I talked to a friend the other day who mentioned he had just lost his job. They ran a background check and let him go after one day of work for "legal reasons." He was confused because he doesn't have any legal issues, misdeamors, felonies. Traffic infractions, fine. So it made no sense to him. And when he asked for specificiation, they told him that they had to let him go because of "some issues." So, the only thing he thinks it could be is discrimination over mental health concerns. Hmm. New York is a right to work state. You can fire a person within that first 90 days of hire for any number of reasons. But to fire someone over "some issues," is that legit? Once you've already hired the individual, let him work for a day, and upon receipt of vague info from the background check company, you let him go? And what if it was because of time spent in hospitals for mental health? Is that discriminatory? And I think his pride is also affected. He's never been fired from a job before in his life. Sometimes it's just weird to watch how our lives unfold.

I saw my girl Lynn today with her new boyfriend Rick. It made me cry. To see her so happy. I lived with her in Decatur when she was with her last boyfriend. That was 8 years ago. She lights up when this one's around. It's lovely to see your closest friends in love. Here's to good things coming to those who wait!

No comments: