Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Bogotá, the great

Today I toured Bogota. Good heavens, it's HUGE!

I visited Plaza Simon Bolivar, where the president and senators live. The plaza is known in history for political protests, guerilla attacks, that sort of thing. A great deal of it is under construction still from those types of insurrections. George Bush was here recently, staying in the house of the Colombian president (Alvaro Uribe). Apparently, no one went near the plaza or the president's house for fear that Bush's presence would provoke an assasination attempt, a political protest, some sort of rioting. Interesting that he has such an impact. When I was in Cartagena, Bill Clinton was also there but he apparently doesn't evoke the same time of feeling or action. They love him here. Bush aside, Colombians seem to love all things from the States. I hung out with Eddison and Christian later in the day and we talked fashion. Christian adores Adidas and was envious of my kicks. He had to save money for several months to afford a pair at the prices here. I've been thinking about buying in bulk at Century 21 and shipping stuff to friends to sell. It could be quite lucritive!

After lunch, I drank chicha in la Candeleria. It's a Colombian specialty made from fermented corn and miel. It's a bit of an aquired taste but a must try! They say you can drink one, but two and you're zonked! La Candeleria is the most historic neighborhood in Bogotá. Many of the buildings date back to original construction from colonization. The neighborhood has an eclectic mix of people, fun & funky restaurants, a wild-looking university, and a striped church! It's covered in dark pink & white stripes. I didn't even want to go inside, the outside was so cool!

I'm staying with a friend's family here in Bogota. It's really nice to be around a family. It makes me miss mine. Hi you guys, if any of you are reading this! Love you! And happy birthday, DAD!! They are five, the same as in mine! The mom Luz, dad Luis, older sister Lina and two younger, rascally brothers John & Daniel. I've been teaching Lina English. It's hard!! But I'm enjoying having to think! Seems like it's been a while...

No comments: