Saturday, April 21, 2007

First flight

I could live in Lima. I haven't seen the rough parts granted but I quite like what I have seen. Miraflores is a rich part of town. I almost feel like it's too nice for my traveling bum style! I'm having ceviche for lunch (can't seem to tire of it) and the woman at the next table asked me if I needed help with the menú. Very friendly in Lima, in Perú in general. We chatted. She was with her hsband & they gave me their numbers here in case I get lost, they said. He works for Citibank. She's an architect. Lovely people. I'm no Bohemian but I'm not a professional either. What am I? Where do I fit? And does my identity have to be my job? Can I be a professional traveler? ¨So, what do you do for a living?¨ he asked. I responded, ¨I travel.¨ Yeah, that's the ticket!

The busser just passed me his number, Gerardo. Perúvian men are quite attractive. Ecuadorian men, ok. Colombian men, yes. But Perúvian men, uh oh. A girl could find herself in a heap of trouble...at least in Lima!

Today I went paragliding at sunset. Lima is set on the cliffs of the Pacific, a park lining the edges of the city with a view down the cliffs to the sea. I leapt off the mountain into the sun and let the wind take me. Exhilirating. I wasn't alone. Marco Mercado was my pilot & he's great. I was a little scared at first but then relaxed. I was flying. Free. I looked down at a bird soaring. I've never watched a bird fly from above looking down at its body and colors. The bird took a sharp dive down to the ground too. It was so wild to see the angles from that view. Amazing.

1 comment:

Kayscorner said...

I can't believe you did it! Love you lots.