Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Hasta luego, Colombia!

I spent last night in Ipiales, Colombia and crossed the border back into Ecuador this morning. I am headed for Quito, then Quito to Loja, Loja to Vilcabamba. It's not cute...about 22 more hours of bus fun. Then Perú. And only a month off from where I thought I'd be!

Off the van to the terminal in Tulcan, the Ecuadorian border town, the guys who work for the bus lines where there ready & willing to rush me off to whatever location. I walked to the center and had my last Colombian meal at the Patio. It was humongous! Beans, rice, arepas, avocado, 3 types of meat, including fried pork fat (which I couldn´t stomach), egg and plantain. Oh and I ordered a beer...oops. Holy mackerel! I almost made it through the whole plate. Guess who'll be sleeping the entire way to Quito?!

The sunset is special tonight. There is a thin line of light between the mountains and the clouds. The sun illuminates the tops of the mountains on the east, the trees aglow.

Didn't sleep a wink to Quito, watched Blood Diamond & A Perfect Storm. In Quito, I missed the last bus to Cuenca. The Flota Imbabura, or as I prefer to call it Imbaburro it's so slow, passed just before midnight & I elected not to hop on. Bad choice. It was the last option. So I'm waiting in the Quito terminal for 3 hours to go to Riobamba. It's midnight now. Then from Riobamba I catch the 7 am to Cuenca, then to Loja then Vilcabamba. Sometimes I really miss direct flights.

No comments: