Thursday, April 12, 2007

Worth it

I've been on and off buses since 11 pm Monday night. And sometimes the view makes it all worth it. This morning on the way to Cuenca, I caught my first Ecuadorian come-over. I guess it's another thing that's international, although I'm not sure I understand it anywhere in the world. Then again, my father and brother are both bald and quite handsome, if I don't say so myself!

The bus to Cuenca is packed, standing room only and not much at that. There's a little girl on my arm rest to the left and a nun and her purse in my foot space. I asked for a seat in the front just for the extra space, in vain this morning. I considered letting the nun sit and sitting in the floor space, but none of the men offered up his seat. Chivalry is dead. Plus, Semana Santa just ended 5 days ago. How soon we forget.

As much as Spanish colonization may have robbed (as is the case with colonization in any part of the world) a lot of South America of resources and early culture, the ties to heritage and indigenous cultures are still quite evident. It's nice to see such a wide mix of people and all throughout the country. While indigenous people may not have much and seemingly less than they had pre-colonization, at least they aren't separated, like in a reservation. Their land, their country is still theirs. I need to explore more of the US and the "native" population. The only experiences I've had have been in Buffalo, NY, buying cheap cigarettes for friends in the city or hunting for the cheapest gas near the reservation. While in the US the indigenous people may have fought for their land and to be separate, here the names of towns, the history, it's all still relevant, incorporated and celebrated.

The colors in the clouds--steel, cotton, spider web, robin's egg, smoke.

The last night before I left Colombia, Edisson asked me what I liked best about Colombia. I was most impressed by the pride Colombians take in all they do. Sure, there are those trying to beat the system who rob or steal, drug addicts, pictures posted of those lost. But everyone I talked to was interested to know the impressions the US has of Colombia, and most contradicted the bad reputation. I guess I was most impressed by the people. They were lovely. What I'm realizing more and more is how important it is to enjoy, to savor this life. Wherever you were born, wherever you live, those moments of frustration, pressure, aggravation, they just aren't worth it.

No comments: