Friday, April 6, 2007

Montserrate

Good Friday. I climbed up to Montserrate with the family today. It was packed with people. No one has to work & given that there's a church at the top , the majority of Bogotá seems to be making the trek.The path is stairs all the way up, no rough terrain, but a ton of stairs at that! We passed a couple crawling up to the top. They weren't crawling because they didn't have use of their legs. They crawled as penitence. Who knows what they did to deserve that type of self-punishment? Catholicism is deep.

Once at the top, it started to rain. And it was cold. The clouds rolled in and you could hardly see 10 feet in front of you. Montserrate is a volcano as well, although I have yet to discern whether active. After a quick break and arepas for the gang, we made our descent. The line for the gondola was probably about a mile long. The haze held almost to the bottom of the mountain. I got a few shots of the city but none from the top. I'm sure my legs will be sore tomorrow. I love that!

Oh, and there's a town nearby called Facatativa. Trying saying that one three times! It's fun to say, but more than that, it sounds like a curse word. So I've been using it as such. When agitated or upset, it's just perfect!

No comments: