Friday, April 13, 2007

Vilcabamba

I took a bike from the hostel into town. Hosteria Izhcayluma is 2k from the center of Vilcabamba. It's a downhill ride pretty much. Uh oh. The climb back is gonna hurt. Vilcabamba is tiny. I greet people on the street, some of whom don't acknowledge me. I feel like I could meet the whole town in 3 days, so I'm going to continue to offer salutations.

Sad to say, I spent most of the day in an internet cafe. Just needed to catch up. Here's the view from the cafe. Not bad. The ride back up was indeed a bear. I got caught in the rain and had to walk the last quarter of the way. I named my bike Bessie, the burra. She only has gears on one side so I wasn't exactly Greased Lightnin'. I'll have to make a better selection tomorrow. I'm determined to make the whole 2k climb. If not tomorrow, at least one day. And 2k is nothing, but these are country kilometers. And mountain country to boot!

Ok, people. I've got a dilemna & need some help. A friend bought a dog way back in Montañita. She's part French Poodle and the rest I don't know what. Her name is Ginger & she's adorable. She took to me in Montañita and I'm not sure what to do. So. Do I take her with me to NYC? The option is available, I think. Anyone have any thoughts, advice, comments? Is anyone there?

I had a late lunch at the hosteria. Fantastic! It was baked vegetables topped with cheese. Exotic, I know. I've just missed vegetables so. I played chess for several hours, which added up to 3 games. I'm learning & am slow. But I won 2 of the 3. I like chess. The hosteria is German-owned and run and they have 2 huge dogs. They're chocolate spotted with white. Cafú and Laika. Ginger wants to rally but she's more of a snack for them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i think ginger needs to get in line behind sasha and ringo.

Sockmonkee said...

Well, I hate to see a poor littel muffin like that be left behind! Shes so cute!!
How hard is it to take her to th US?
Id be getting her vet care right away. Shots and get her fixed.
Where are you going to put a dog in your Apt in NYC?
Maybe she sheould move to Georgia ;)