Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Beach day

To the beach!! As much as friends have commented that I look like a native lately, I'm still bait for vendors. On the beach, not 15 minutes after I'd secured an umbrella, I got accosted by a girl giving massages. It starts out as a trial period, just a foot massage, and before you know it, you're covered from head to toe in lotion and there are 7 people offering you things. Fresh crab & conch ceviche, necklaces, beer, beach sarongs. I told them all no at least 5 times, but apparently they have yet to get the ¨no means no¨ lesson. So I got up from the spot, covered in lotion, 2 braids in my hair, having tried a crab and a few oysters--all free, according to the vendors--and left without paying anyone. The umbrella vendor asked me to pay but, frankly, I wasn't about to pull out my wallet and flash any cash to anyone. I found a more secluded spot and settled in, after checking with the local lifeguard to be sure I wouldn't be bothered there. He said that the cops cruise this part of the beach more as well, so I'd be all good to enjoy some sun. Great. A little piece of the Atlantic. The water is blue and green and the beer is cold.

No comments: