Thursday, March 29, 2007

El Rodadero

Apparently, Santa Marta is the town center but not the main spot. It´s nice but a bit industrial for my taste. The maritime port is just to the right of the main beach and there are lots of barges. There is an island in the bay that I hope to swim to. It´s probably a mile each way...yikes. I swam a mile once when I was in Dynamos, a year-round swim club for young swimmers. I wasn't quite so serious after a year or two. A heated pool with 50 other kids swimming hand-to-toe in the middle of winter wasn´t my idea of fun. In the pool, eveyone´s faces look like tomatoes, it´s so hot. The moment you´re out of the pool, you freeze!

I read about an area near here, El Rodadero. It´s supposed to be the fun happening spot, so I headed there. On the bus, I missed the stop and had to pay half the way on the return trip. Earth to Anne. Just out of the bus, the locals got me. Apartment? Lunch? Beer? I guess people assume I can´t read or maybe that I don´t have a plan yet. They follow you as you make your way hoping they can help direct you to a friend's hotel or restaurant where they can collect their finder´s fee. Nope. Not gonna happen here. Kids on bikes, that's one thing. Old men with no teeth drinking beer on the corner...just don't trust it.

I found a great place, Tima Uraka. I could have stayed in the center of the tourist area for the same price but am happy to have a little peace and quiet. The hustle & bustle is only a 5 minute walk. The Tima Uraka has hammocks, flowers, lounges and the manager lives in the house with her son. My sheets are moons, stars & suns. I´m upstairs looking down into the garden. The kitchen is available for use too and they have free bottled water. Score! Only downside is that I have to leave Sunday. It´s the start of Semana Santa, the Easter holy week. I´m going to be up a creek with prices wherever I end up...

No comments: