Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Cartagena in history

Last night I danced at a bar called Donde Fidel. I danced in the street, not actually in the bar. The beer of choice is Aguila, eagle beer. Oh! I forgot! There was a bald eagle living at the finca as well! Young but still fierce.

Early to rise, I explored Cartagena. There is so much history here. The old city was walled in to serve as protection from pirates. The city withstood attacks for centuries. It serves as a main port still and was a major port during slave trade times and throughout Spanish colonization. There is also a hall that dates back to the Spanish Inquisition. I took a class in college on Law, Crime & Society in early modern Europe and we talked a great deal about the Inquisition. The crimes and corresponding punisments. I'm guessing that Cartagena may in fact be in large part a cememtery, for natives of Cartagena, pirates who attacked it, slaves who were traded here, Spanish conquistadors...

The main catheral was erected in the 16th century. The ceiling has exposed rafters that look like stripes of cafe and white. So much of the crafts here are striped brown and white. It's lovely and particular to Colombia. Photos are forbidden in the cathedral, but it doesn't say that anywhere...you're just supposed to know, I guess. Oops. Outside the cathedral is a plaza with vendors. I had some of the best pineapple I've had in life today from a woman selling fruit.

Several words created by school kids in Colombia were officially added to the Spanish language. There is a huge celebration and tour going on about language in general. Gabriel Garcia Marquez is supposed to be involved. I'm not sure of all the details but there is quite a buzz in Cartagena.

No comments: