Sunday, March 25, 2007

Heaven

The brown calf died late last night or early this morning. After breakfast, I was walking toward the goats and cows and the señor who lives at the finca was following me with a wheelbarrow. Nothing out of the ordinary, I figured he needed to move a coffee plant or move something. Turned out he was going to bury the calf. The calf looked like a Bernard to me. How sad. The black calf has been crying most of the day for his brother. You can hear the grief in his wails.

The bill paid at the finca, the señora cooked one last meal, on the house. Eating at the finca was unbelievable. I ate breakfast and dinner every day and that was pretty much it. Breakfast varied but usually had eggs, rice & beans, arepas, hot chocolate, coffee and fresh-squeezed juice--all included in the price per night. Dinner starts with soup, then the main course: rice, plantains, meat, a fresh salad. I haven't eaten home-cooking that good for 4 days since I went to the beach with my fellow Georgia peach Rebecca and her family. Man, she knows how to cook! And the fam, too! Mmm, mmm, mmm!! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

Anyway, in Armenia the choice presented itself again: North or South. Again I chose the North to Cartagena. If you're going to make a trip to Colombia, how can you skip Cartagena?!? Romancing the Stone? Or was it Jewel of the Nile? I forget...

1 comment:

Sockmonkee said...

It was Romancing the Stone! Hilarious!
Thanks for the props too. My family and I ARE expecting you in August at the beach again so dont make me come GET YOU!!!
Are you going to be sick of traveling and the beach by then? When are you coming home? I miss you!!