Saturday, March 17, 2007

I´m going back to Cali...

Remember that song? No, I don´t think so.

I´m on the way to Cali, Colombia from Popayan. Popayan is a small colonial village more than a city, but lovely and calm. It´s hot today, more humid than hot, but then again I did just have a cafe con leche which I´m sure doesn´t help. The hotel last night was a dump, but it did have light. And cable tv! But then again, what do I care? ¨Ain´t nothin gonna breaka my stride. Nobody gonna slow me down. Oh no! I´ve got to keep on movin´!¨ The niece of the owner of the hotel was a charmer. Yvonne, age 10.

It´s a different life here. Everyone just wants to be loved--that´s no different. But the notion of doing the best you can, I´m not sure that´s thought of or considered that often, or maybe it´s not usually much of a possibility. I guess being the best you can be, success, isn´t measured in the same ways as in the States. The best not meaning mad money, a new car, a nice pad, rather the best you can be is a loving, caring person, a good parent. I don´t know how much being the best you can be sure it´s considered States-side that much either, actually, but it occurs to me. Guess I´m the odd one out. Again.

Cali has these trees that grow roots above ground. They extend from underneath tree limbs into the group and continue at lengths of up to ten feet. It´s as though the limbs have hair, well, more dread locks. And there are mimosa trees here. My favorite!!

No comments: