Monday, March 26, 2007

The bus to Cartagena

Now, I've taken some bus rides in my lifetime. Three days & 20 hours from Salem, Oregon to Atlanta, Georgia. A frightening 4.5 hours on the Fung Wah from NYC to Boston. And the 20 hours from Armenia to Cartagena, that one was no breeze either. The chairs recline sure enough and there is a foot rest to make you more comfortable as well but both efforts are in vain. The road entire way is a real lulu! You bounce more than ride those 20 hours, your head banging against the window. I don't mind buses, lord knows I've been on quite a few this trip, but this one was the most difficult. There are a few stops along the way, glory be, but the bouncing makes sleep next to impossible. The only regret I have this trip is that I forgot to bring a book to read! The surefire way to sleep on a bus, plane...not to mention you can make trades everywhere! Oh, well. At least I'll get some good sleep tonight.

After seeing a bit of Cartagena, I'm glad I made the 20 hour trip. Old world feel of balconies overflowing with flowers, huge plazas with statues and monuments, cathedrals and gardens, it's gorgeous. Cartagena is a rough 30 minutes from the bus terminal. The taxis were curt with me so I took the bus for 1600 pesos, about $0.80, $5 in savings. Speaking of money, a friend (who shall remain nameless) called me stingy on the phone the other day. The nerve! Then I thought about it. Am I stingy? And I've decided. No. I'm not stingy. I don't mind a good deal but I'm certinaly no penny-pincher. And besides, this friend is always the one who asks to split the check in restaurants, only to short the tax and tip. Quick jab, quick jab. Ahem! Cartagena is amazing once you get to the center. The trek in from the terminal isn't much to look at, but once you may it to the center, the city comes alive. I haven't read much about Cartagena yet, no guidebooks for Colombia, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at yet but soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

stingy would be if you didn't go to south america (or anywhere) at all.