Saturday, March 31, 2007

Lessons

I met a girl named Maria Paula last night. She had an English test today and asked me to help her with her lessons. An hour later, she gave me a pair of earrings for helping her. How nice! This morning I went to her store to help her cram, but she wasn't there. Of course not...the North American concept of time does not exist here. I keep forgetting! She told me to show up early in the morning, so I was there before 10 am. Early to her is probably half an hour before the test!

It's such a different life here. No rush, as though time doesn't exist. Twenty minutes means 3 hours. You can spend the day doing nothing and you're not alone! I don't know if the schedule I kept in NYC would ever fly here. Course, it didn't fly with a lot of my friends in NYC either!?! It's just different. I don't know if you could find 2 jobs here with consistent need for work, coordinate the hours between the two and count on there being work every shift you were scheduled. You work often enough when there is work & when there's none, you don't work. Except on the finca. They always had work to do!

On the beach different vendors have different styles. They all call their goods but one with a bell, one a whistle, others simply rely on their personalities or smiles. This morning, 10:15 am, one of the beer vendors did his best, but damn! It's barely 10 am!

Ok. So today I miss karaoke. And I miss my neighborhood. Not that I'm that much of a settler, but when I get back, I hope to settle in a bit. To appreciate life, my time, work toward being a better human being. One can hope.

No comments: