Friday, March 23, 2007

Parque Nacional del Cafe

People have been telling me that I have to go to the coffee park. Officially it's called the Parque Nacional del Cafe. I didn't exactly understand what it was with the description given--juegos mecanicos--mechanical games? But, I went anyway. Nine hours of amusement park fun! I know. I'm an idiot. Sometimes.

First thing, I rode the Cyclon. Back in good ole GA it's called the Wheelie! I don't know if it still exists but it was the first real amusement park ride I would go on. I was a big scaredy-cat as a kid. You spin superfast in a circle & then go vertical. So the Cyclon, or Wheelie, whichever you prefer, holds a special place in my heart.

The park also has a great roller coaster, a log ride (called water mountain), a chair lift like at ski resorts, a cable car or gondola--I can't remember what those things are called--a gazilion other attractions, and two shows as well, el Show del Cafe and el Show de Orquideas!?! The coffee show traces the history of coffee in Colombia and its impact. Coffee is a huge part of the culture, and Juan Valdez is real! I thought he was a myth, but no! He actually exists and is quite famous! The coffee show has dancers who tell the story of how coffee was introduced to the country and how it began to flourish. The orchid show is all mechanical. The ceiling is lined with orchids, the centers of the flowers painted with faces, all different colors and types of orchids. The show starts with trees in the corners talking & then the orchids take it away singing and dancing. I think it's geered more toward kids but was fun for me--a kid at heart. There is also a bamboo forest and a walk through different times periods in Colombia history. Not only fun & games, but educational as well!

No comments: