Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Santa Marta

From Cartagena, I´m headed east to Santa Marta. It´s supposed to have the most beautiful beaches in Colombia and a great atmosphere. The bus driver overcharged me for the fare. It gets old paying more, most times double what everyone else pays. People just assume that because you´re a foreigner, you´ve got the cash to burn. Fine. I may have made more money in a month in NYC than a lot of people make in a year, but dang! I was working seven days a week and shouldn´t the price of something be the price regardless of where you´re from? Guess not. And what can I do? Either take the trip or go a different route.

Santa Marta is dead for the moment. Colombia and Paraguay are playing. I´m amazed I could get a taxi from the bus terminal! I found a decent hotel in the center of Santa Marta. It's one street off the main drag. And, holy cow, did people want my money!?! One hotel offered a room with 8 beds for dirt cheap. Just seemed a little desperate. Another the same, but for even less money. Sure I´ll save a few bucks but, really, I just need one bed. My room has leaves painted on the walls...how charming!

No comments: